Monday 1 May 2017

The last Dirty Gran Fondo - My 65km report.


Yesterday 30th April, I participated in my 4th (and final) Dirty Gran Fondo event. Due to the decline in numbers of people participating, the organisers have decided stop running this particular event and the September Gembrook one will be their last off road gran fondo. I have also just looked at the timing of the Gembrook event (3rd Sept) and realised that it is one day after the Ol’Dirty…

This is my 3rd time riding the 65km as my first attempt at this event was the 35km. The first time I participated in this distance (2015), I wasn’t sure what I was getting myself into and my skills were nothing to brag about. I remember that ride being the hardest thing I had ever done, I walked my bike up nearly every climb and my grip on the brakes were firm.

My second attempt in 2016 of the event was much better considering that I had trained 8 months earlier for the 3 Peaks event and also having just finished the 7 Peaks rides. I had cut nearly 45min off my previous time and only walked twice.

The 3rd attempted on Sunday was not as great as last year, obviously because I didn’t spend the whole of summer of climbs and strength training but I survived. I had signed up for this event early this year when the dates changed from mid May to end of April due to the clash with Mothers Day. The last time I was on my mountain bike was on New Years when I rode 1km to my friend’s house.

We arrived at Wandong at just after 8am which gave my time for a toilet stop, getting my bike ready and deciding what to wear on the bike. It was about 15 degrees when the race started and I was glad when I removed my arm warmers. I noticed that the numbers this year was low from the start, we were not squeezed in or the end of the group where I usually start the ride was not spread out too far back. There was barely any women as well. I noticed the familiar faces of female cyclists were missing. Apart of the usual who generally podium at these CX-MTB events, strong female cyclist faces were missing.

The start of the ride is always nervous for me as my skills on muddy and rocky roads are not great. My bike set up was not great to start with. I had lent my bike to a friend to use for an event and upon return, I hadn’t had a chance to adjust to suit my changes since the last time I was on this bike. Due to my fall off the bike at last year’s event, I think it may be time to move this bike on.

There was the same part where I hopped off the bike last year after my fall and walked the bike until the “shooting range” section of the course. I made the call early to walk the bike when it was too steep and my tyres were slipping off when I was pedalling.

I am getting more comfortable at my descents. I remember the first descent had some straight gravel sections which ended with some twists and turns amongst the greenery. My times were 16:30 (2015), 15 (2016) and now 12:02.

I was relieved when I arrived at Feedzone 1 as I knew that I would be around a third of the way through the event. I threw my rubbish which I had stuffed under the leg section of my knicks and off I went.

The rest of the ride I found challenging. Mentally I was defeated as I knew that I was so behind the crowd. I actually thought I was the last female rider of the whole event. Physically, due to being under prepared for not only this ride but climbing in general, I was in pain. I wished my saddle was slightly higher and a bit set back so I can sit further back and use my glutes for the climbs.  

After Feedzone 2 is when the 90km riders generally ride passed me and keep me company for a second or two for the remainder of the ride. I knew that there is 1300+m of climbing for the day for the 65km and from memory, I knew that there were some rolling hills after Feedzone 2 through to 3.

I was adamant to finish this event under 5 hours and for the last 15km or so, I pretty much had 45min to sprint home. Luckily it was all downhill from there. After Feedzone 3, it was pretty much a good descent down to the start of the event. Due to the wear and tear of the roads, there were a few slippery moments where my bike skidded off some muddy puddles as well as my bike getting some air over some bumps.

I am happy to report that I did finish under 5 hours with 30 seconds to spare. I was also adamant that I was the last in my category but only found out late last night when the results were released that I didn’t come last in my category.



During the presentations, the race organisers told us that this was to be the last Dirty Gran Fondo due to the decline in numbers. There is the Gembrook Dirty Gran Fondo in September and that will be the last one for Big Hill Events. It is sad that they will no longer be having this particular event as it is the only time I ever bring the mountain bike out.

1 comment: